Churches
   
 

Seven churches, one for every hill of the village, used to exist in the community. Nowadays, including the chapel of Agia Kyriaki which is built on private land, there are eight churches. The remaining seven churches include the church of Agios Mamas, the church of Agia Paraskevi, the church of Prophet Elias, the church of Archangel Michael, the church of Panagia of the Ark, the church of Agios Georgios Tropeoforos (Trophy-bearer) and the church of Agios Theodoros Stratelates (the General). Out of these seven churches, the only ones preserved today are the churches of Panagia, of Agios Georgios and of Agios Theodoros. Presented below are the churches of the village based on information obtained from the book about Agios Theodoros Pitsilias*.

Church of Agios Mamas
It used to be located in the northern part of Agios Theodoros Pitsilias, in between the bridges “Arkatziou” and “Chortokopion”. 

Church of Agia Paraskevi
The church of Agia Paraskevi used to be built on the plot where today stands the Health and Cultural Centre of the community. Up until 1930, the Primary School was built on the same land.

Church of Archangel Michael
This used to be built at a location known as the “threshes of Pperenties” and which is located approximately half way between the residence of Tzyprianos and the “Kourris” Hotel.   

Church of Panagia (Virgin Mary) of the Ark
It is a 16th century church which is internally adorned with a wooden iconostasis of the 17th century. According to the book about Agios Theodoros Pitsilias, in this church there are two significant icons which are also mentioned in foreign books, something which is linked to the increased number of people visiting the church to admire the two icons.    

One of the icons depicts Prophet Elias and was discovered by Charalambos Nicola, Nicolas Christofi Tsiamettis and Hadjimalekkos while they were digging to construct a fence near the church of Virgin Mary, whereas the second one is an icon of Jesus Christ which is of great value.

The church of Panagia (Virgin Mary) has been placed under the protection of the Department of Antiquities.  

Church of Prophet Elias
It used to stand south of the church of Panagia and kept in it is a significant icon of Prophet Elias.  

Church of Agios Georgios Tropeoforos (Trophy-bearer)
It is one of the salvaged churches of Agios Theodoros Pitsilias which was constructed in 1840. According to the book about Agios Theodoros Pitsilias, the construction is linked to the moving of some residents of the neighbouring village of Agios Ioannis to our village. Among the ones who undertook the construction of the church were Giorkis Pishiris and his father in law, Koumpouris. What is noteworthy is the fact that an old gospel dated back to the year 1550 is kept at the church of Agios Georgios.   

Church of Agios Theodoros Stratelates (the General)
The church of Agios Theodoros was constructed in 1977 on the land where another church dedicated to same saint used to be built. The interior of the church is adorned by frescos designed by Romanian painters. The expenses for the construction of the church were covered by Eleni and Michalis Sideris.

The story related to the construction of the church, as this is presented in the book about Agios Theodoros Pitsilias, is quite unique. After the Turkish invasion, an old woman named Theodora from the village of Lapithos moved in with the family of a teacher named Eftechios Gioutani who lived in our village. It is noteworthy that Theodora had managed to transfer the icon of the Hypapante of Christ from her occupied by the Turks village. The deeply religious Theodora would sometimes listen to horse gallops at night which she linked to Agios Theodoros, whereas at other times she would see lights at the location where the church of the Saint was later built.  Some night she had a vision of Agios Theodoros who indicated to her the location where he wanted a church to be built, as well as the kind and number of trees that would surround the parvis of the church. In particular, the Saint asked for cypresses, pines and acacias to be planted around the church. This vision constituted the reason for the construction of the church of Agios Theodoros in 1977. 

Chapel of Agia Kyriaki
It is a small stony chapel with an inclined roof built on private land owned by the family of Father Christodoulos. The church is located in the northern edge of the village, in the middle of mountain peaks “Papoutsa” and “Aloupotrypes”.

Sources:
Agios Theodoros Pitsilias Community Council
*Koronides K. Andreas, Agios Theodoros Pitsilias...standing on 1023 metres, 2010, published by the Community Council of Agios Theodoros of Agros and the Association “Friends of Agios Theodoros of Agros”

 

   
Footer
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Services Ltd.
No images, text or other material whatsoever from this website may be copied, published, re-produced or otherwise used without the written permission of NETinfo Services Ltd.